This is also from the drafts queue...
I know some people who really have their shit together. Two of my cousins come to mind, they are just ON THE BALL.
Me, not so much.
Maybe I’m better than some people but overall I’m not happy with my efforts.
The other day I was cleaning up around here which is something that goes in waves and I came across a copy of a letter I had written to a friend from over 20 years ago and I was dismayed to put it mildly.
I was dismayed because many of the things I talked about in that letter are still evident in life today and I view that as something of a failure on my part in a big way. Time is our most valuable commodity and to me it told me I had squandered away the one precious resource I had and it was only myself who held the blame.
Then again too it made me wonder about our nature and when I say our nature I mean to speak to all the intangible things that are part of our makeup and that make us the people we are.
Can we change those things is the question?
I know in my case what it was for me was a stark reminder of the fact that no matter how self aware I may be of my foibles there has been precious little movement in the direction I would have liked to have gone.
So, can we change?
I’d like to think it is possible but I don’t believe it’s possible without a ton of effort and diligence. At this stage of the game I STILL would want to move forward and learn and grow.
I hope I still can.
You know, sixty is closing in very fast. A little too fast if you ask me but closing in nonetheless.Now, I don’t know particularly where I was going on this but I have the sense it was likely how winding up in adulthood smashes those precepts that you have about it.
Which is good too in a way, because I don’t find the long dirt nap that appealing really.
Now, when I was a kid... a younger person, I carried around the incredible assumptions younger people carry around with them. Foremost among these assumptions was older people had their shit together. This sense somehow people who had made their way through the years...
I know some people who really have their shit together. Two of my cousins come to mind, they are just ON THE BALL.
Me, not so much.
Maybe I’m better than some people but overall I’m not happy with my efforts.
The other day I was cleaning up around here which is something that goes in waves and I came across a copy of a letter I had written to a friend from over 20 years ago and I was dismayed to put it mildly.
I was dismayed because many of the things I talked about in that letter are still evident in life today and I view that as something of a failure on my part in a big way. Time is our most valuable commodity and to me it told me I had squandered away the one precious resource I had and it was only myself who held the blame.
Then again too it made me wonder about our nature and when I say our nature I mean to speak to all the intangible things that are part of our makeup and that make us the people we are.
Can we change those things is the question?
I know in my case what it was for me was a stark reminder of the fact that no matter how self aware I may be of my foibles there has been precious little movement in the direction I would have liked to have gone.
So, can we change?
I’d like to think it is possible but I don’t believe it’s possible without a ton of effort and diligence. At this stage of the game I STILL would want to move forward and learn and grow.
I hope I still can.
No comments:
Post a Comment